Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Collegiate volleyball - the D800 at ISO 3200
Nov 5, 2012

I wanted to explore my new D800's high ISO capability.  The women's vollyball game between #1 Stanford and #2 Oregon in the Matthew Knight Arena yesterday sounded interesting and sufficiently challenging....ambient lighting only, fast action, from a general audience seat.

I used a monpod, my old 80-200 f2.8 lens...wide open...at ISO 3200.  JPG at Fine.  WB flourescent #4.  I found quickly that for volleyball the "hot" action is so split second that it worked better (with a 4 fps camera) to go with Single shot and try and nail that one moment rather that High Speed.  Can't speak to how much better a 7 or more fps camera might have done.  In general what I would do differently would be to 1) limit the AF distance at not beyond the end of the net....too many split second last focus on the audience and 2) get an more "end-zone" seat rather than mid-net to get more direct facials....or better yet....roam.

All of these are cropped...some seriously.  BTW, I notice the crispness of the images on my computer are noticeably reduced in transfer/resizing to this post.  They are, for the most part, tack sharp.  I am delighted (if not astounded) by the camera and the results as ISO 3200....more so than I might be if only judged from the softened output here.

And BTW, Oregon got schooled by Stanford.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli www.flyfishingfotography.com

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow