I have a predicament. Using the 70-200mm f2.8 VRI on D90 (DX) or D700 (FX)?

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207
Like?
I have a predicament. Using the 70-200mm f2.8 VRI on D90 (DX) or D700 (FX)?
Nov 5, 2012

I will be shooting the F1 race in Austin, Nov 17, for personal enjoyment. I could bring the cannon, 300mm f2.8 on D3s, but I think that will be an overkill for my intentions. That combination is heavy, requires a monopod (venue said no, no) to keep carrying the weight bearable. I want to shoot more than just the race cars. Now, I know this is a perennial debate whether to use FX for the bigger pixels, or use DX for reach. So far, the samples I took using the D700 cropped to the same size as the D90 at 200mm seems to have better contrast and a bit sharper image when compared to the D90 uncropped image. But, the D90 image has a larger file size and has more pixels. I assume that I will be shooting at ISO 200 (day light) so the D700 will not have that much of an advantage in noise level over the D90. Which set up do you think will work best? 70-200mm on D90 or 70-200mm on D700?

My personal opinion.  The D90 seems like a toy next to the D700.

Nikon D3S Nikon D700 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow