A99: Does the price point become rediculous for photographers?

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,824
Like?
Re: A99: Does the price point become rediculous for photographers?
In reply to Alan_S, Nov 5, 2012

Alan_S wrote:

Dave Oddie wrote:

It's not the price of the A99 per se that stops me buying one. It's the fact that I can never justify spending more than £1000 on a camera for what is a hobby whoever makes it.

Hobbies... some people buy boats, snowmobiles, jetskis... try to buy the trailer to haul them on for under 1k . Is it worth twice as much over the a77 to gain all the improved features (including 1.5-2.5 stops ISO performance improvement)? The marketplace will decide, but there's a lot of truth to "you get what you pay for" (just look at the dramatic increases in lens prices as quality increases).

I am sure they do but I doubt they upgrade any of their trailer every year or two.  Large capital investment up front for sure but once made they last a long time.  Pretty much how I view my A77 and lenses!

Of course if I win the lottery I'd probably buy a whole host of cameras and bore everyone to death with my amateurish noise comparison tests between the A77 and the A99 and what ever other cameras I decided to fritter my winnings away on!

I'm with ya there -- might even get into boating and snowmobiling if that happens!

Be motor racing for me.  Always fancied myself hurtling round the track in a Caterham:

http://www.caterham.co.uk/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow