My initial impressions of the X-E1 w/ 18mm and 35mm lenses.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?
Re: AF and Fuji X cameras
In reply to 57even, Nov 5, 2012

57even wrote:

I find it amazing how much better it gets when I practice.

CDAF is more fussy than PDAF, you need to find something with contrast to focus on, and lines and borders dont help, especially when horizontal. Sometimes tipping the camera slightly helps focus acquisition, though of course you have to tip it back again to shoot

Mainly though I think I am just better at recognizing what it will or wont focus on, but when it locks it is extremely accurate. I think this is a trade off in the firmware.

I've read about the tilt before you lock focus theory, I'll be giving it a try the next time it struggles to lock focus!.

But I said elsewhere what you wrote at the end - you just kind of learn what to focus on.

If someone like Jessops ever get the 18-55 in I'll be giving it a try. I'm a prime shooter, but if it'll give me faster AF in situations where I simply want to catch my daughter playing then I'll go with it

-- hide signature --

www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow