High School Football Playoffs (Indoor Arena) (lots of images)

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
acwalbur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,640
Like?
High School Football Playoffs (Indoor Arena) (lots of images)
Nov 5, 2012

I shot the local high school sectional championship game for our paper this past Saturday.  The game was held in the Carrier Dome (home of the Syracuse Orangemen), a fully enclosed Division I (college) sports arena.

The game was at 6:00 PM, and even with the full stadium lighting operating, I was surprised at the light levels achieved on the field.  The "top-down" lighting arrangement made it very difficult to get light under the helmets.  At the ISO levels I was dealing with, there is less than 1-stop of leeway to elevate the exposure under the helmet in post, so I erred on the side of over-exposure.

I shot the E-5 and 150/2 with the EC-14, which gave me 1/500 f/2.8 @ ISO 2000 (as high as I wanted to go).  In hindsight, I would have been better served to sacrifice some range for shutter speed.  I used the E-3 and 35-100 for a few wider shots, then slapped on the 11-22 and FL-50 for the group shot.

In the media areas there were two other photographers from other local papers.  I found one of their shots online for comparison to mine (taken with an older 1D and 300/2.8).  These of course are websized comparisons, but I thought it was neat that we took nearly the same capture.

Mine (E-5, 150/2, EC-14)

Post Standard's Photographer (Canon 1D, 300/2.8)

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.
- Adam

Canon EOS-1D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow