Megapixels & lens sharpness

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,744Gear list
Like?
Luckily for most folks, they won't need 100%-sized images.
In reply to plantdoc, Nov 5, 2012

plantdoc wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that the more megapixels a camera has the more lens flaws will be visible in 100% view? I am eliminating noise reduction blurring with more pixels from consideration in this situation. I noticed testing a lens that flaws, such as overall softness and decentering blur were significantly more noticeable with an 18 megapixel T2i and 15 megapixel t1i and then a 10 megapixel 40D. Same subjects etc, 100% view in photoshop. Not sure how to relate this print quality and size. If so, then to extract the finest image from a high megapixel camera will require the finest optics. Thoughts?

Greg

Your observations seem to suggest that you are already well on the way to understanding the situation. The only thing that remains is direct testing of images from the camera/lens combo in question with the size print in question as viewed from the intended distance. Some folks are more sensitive to certain lens aberrations than others i.e. everyone has their pet peeves. If perfection is the intended goal, give that up right now.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow