Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sten E
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486Gear list
Like?
Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon D800?
Nov 5, 2012

Periodically, I feel the urge to buy a bigger and better camera.

Currently I have a Pentax K-5 with four good lenses, and a compact Canon G1X. They are both good and I feel no real need for better function.

But still, better dynamic range, low light capability, and auto focus in a bigger camera are tempting. So far, I have calmed down and realized that I probably do not want a camera that is too big, and that my K-5 is both good and small. Besides, a big camera with a number of good lenses would mean a fairly big investment. But the thoughts of a really good camera return after a while.

So now I am contemplating which is best of Canon 5D Mark III and Nikon D800. I would be interested in your view on this.

I shoot various types of pictures: travel, landscape, portrait, macro, street (with my G1X), architecture, and more. I always shoot in raw format. I use Adobe PS CS6. I probably do not need very high resolution, since my biggest print so far will be for an exhibition in the format 50x70 centimeters (about 20x28 inches), and I usually do not crop so much. I like good sharp lenses, though I mostly use a general purpose zoom (a good one).

I realize that I have discussed similar matters before here in the dpreview forums, but as I wrote above, my thoughts return to this, and I would be grateful for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Sten

Sten E's gear list:Sten E's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow