RX100 zoom noise, focus and steadyshot questions.

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Suzi Morris
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
RX100 zoom noise, focus and steadyshot questions.
Nov 5, 2012

I have done a search on this thread but have not found the answer I need. I have an RX100 that I have used for the past week and I am finding that the zoom is quite noisy when I zoom in, sometimes making a slight grinding noise almost(?).  It is quite quiet when I zoom out and it tends to get noiser as I zoom in and out repeatedly in quick succession.  Does anybody else find their zoom noisy?

I am also finding that my autofocus is not instant as many reviewers claimed, my Fuji X10 is quicker most of the time and the RX100 has problems at the long end of the zoom in certain light, particularly when I try to focus on my sons faces in restaurants for example.  I have found it extremely frustrating to use in these situations, do others find the same?  Most of the time it does a quick shift back and forth and focuses in around a second.

Finally, occasionally I have found that using very reasonable shutter speeds I have ended up with a blurry shot almost as though I have used a slow shutter speed.  One example was a plant that I shot in decent light during the day at 1/250th but the whole image looked as though it had been taken too slow, very blurry and not out of focus blurry.  Is this the steadyshot interferring where it shouldnt and do others turn it off?

Thanks for any replies.

Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow