Rx1 maybe not all it could be... hands on today

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Blue Orca
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx1 maybe not all it could be... hands on today
In reply to nex7diehard, Nov 5, 2012

nex7diehard wrote:

This morning l stopped in at Sony's flagship store in Ginza with the sole intent of hands on the RX1 and l can say that after handling it l was dissapointed. Now l dont know if its a preproduction model but overall it was sluggish both in startup to picture taking and shutdown and more importantly the focusing definately had trouble in dim light and in normal light with flat surfaces. l imagine they spent a fortune developing this camera and having taken over 5000 pictures with my RX100 l think the efforts should have been put into its future and more so into a full frame Nex 7 or Nex 9 with interchangable lenses . The RX100 fills the need for a very good high end compact and the Nex range is such a good opportunity to provide the market with a small DSLR quality interchangeable lens camera . The A99 was there to and you are, like all full size cameras, into a monster of a unit which for the average amateur would be struggle to heave around all day and that where l keep feeling that Sony with its huge finacial problems needs to consolidate its range and focus more on less product. Personally l would have no trouble paying RX1 prices for a full frame Nex with the improved lcd, standard industry flash mount and GPS, bluetooth not needed ...just my thoughts and l am interest to see others think likewise ....

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Looks like you really enjoy your RX100 and NEX7.

I have to imagine, for the flagship CyberShot camera, Sony would use the experiences and lessons learned on the RX100 to ensure the firmware on the RX1 meets or beats these two cameras.

The only question I have - will there be enough time for Sony to get the firmware good enough before the RX1 launch later this month?

OTOH, I guess if they run out of time, they can still launch the camera and release a firmware update at a later time, like they did on the NEX cameras.

From what I have read so far, build quality on the RX1 is good.  AF speed is on par with NEX7 (which is faster than my GX1 and good enough for me).  I also read Sony is working on improving the camera's focus accuracy. This probably is exactly what you saw, that the current firmware has trouble focusing on flat surfaces in dim and normal light.

Blue

Blue Orca's gear list:Blue Orca's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7S Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow