Digital scans -- who needs 120 film?

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Colin Dutton
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
Re: Digital scans -- who needs 120 film?
In reply to jon404, Nov 5, 2012

According to the numbers you give the 120 scan is actually larger than the 35mm, but the difference, in any case, is marginal and probably only reflects the different 'shape' of the film being scanned.

It's a long time since I did it but I used to scan all formats of film from 35mm to large format and  the resulting quality from a 120 original was way better than from a 35mm. Similarly a scan from large format was better than from 120. This was for producing files of around 43cm on the long edge at 300dpi, so 50mB or 70mB files depending on the format... similar to what you have there.

A larger film area obviously contains more information. To arrive at the same output size your 35mm scan will need a higher degree of magnification than a 120 scan. Up to a certain output size you won't see any difference , but at the size you quote you'll find the 120 film offers greater quality.

But at the end of the day if you're happy with the quality from the 35mm then stick with it. Some of the most powerful and beautiful images ever made were produced on 35mm and personally I love to see grain as it evokes the process of capturing images on film. Save your money and just enjoy shooting with the Nikon!

Colin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow