Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791
Like?
Digital scans -- who needs 120 film?
Nov 5, 2012

In my Nikon FG resuscitation project, noticed today that hi-res 35mm digital scans from North Coast Photo are actually larger than their hi-res scans for 120 and 220 film... 3339 x 5035 for 35mm film vs. 3533 x 4824 for 120 or 220.

Question -- if what you want is to shoot color film and then bring hi-res color scans into Photoshop for processing, then -- unless I'm wrong, there's no advantage at all to using the larger 120mm film size! If I'm right, scans are different from just going straight from film to print, where the larger negative size would really pay off.

Am I thinking correctly about this? So I can keep on using my old FG, and not have to buy a VERY expensive 120-film camera (please, for this discussion, don't mention Holgas and Dianas, although I'm sure they have their merits, like a bottle of my favorite wine, white zinfandel**).

What do you think? With scans, it's the pixel size that matters, right? And any advantage of the larger 120 format will be lost if the scan from it is smaller than the 35mm scan size, right?

Looking forward to your comments!

**Popularized by Sutter Home Winery in the 1970's, white zin is literally the last squeezing of the grapes, with a ton of sugar added as regular zin is pretty strong (sour). It is America's second-best seller, after chardonnay. Wall Street Journal -- 'a delightful summer wine.' Sneered at by wine aficionados, although the Forbes five-star Del Mar Grande Hotel sommelier told me that they would get some from the nearest convenience store, if I didn't enjoy the rosé he offered as a substitute.

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue -- Olympus XZ-1 tips at http://jon404.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow