What's all this about Ken Rockwell?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?
Re: Somewhat Useful site for lens selection for Nikon
In reply to Shotcents, Nov 5, 2012

Like him or criticize him, his site has nearly every lens Nikon ever made on it (I think), so if I am buying new or used lenses of good quality, I can check out his review for any flaws of the lenses and also the features the lens has like build quality etc. I also research on photozone site. His site is a useful resource to a degree. He includes photo samples outdoors, to show sharpness on lenses. Certainly some of his comments are questionable, so I take it for what it is, for what I need to know. His personal choice of which equipment he uses does not match mine due to different needs. He prefers the smaller SB400 flash while I prefer the larger SB 800/900 flashes.

For example he said once Nikon 28-300 FX lens is the one lenses solution to replace 3 different focal length lenses because it was that sharp. Possibly okay for serious amateur user for a one lens solution, but pro users need far more lenses in total for different uses over a days working shoot. Nikon FX 28-300 is good, and I have it when I need it to avoid swapping lens constantly, but its focus can be slow to acquire, and when you need the speed of fast focus for active events other lens are certainly better and faster to lock focus such as F2.8 lenses and also 24-120 lens focuses much faster to not miss a quick event happening. So I do not agree with all he says, but use his site for info I am looking for. That's all.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Olympus PEN E-PL1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow