ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ebrandon
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
How to do focus tracking on A99?
Nov 5, 2012

Hello all,

None of the cameras I currently use (NEX, m43, Fuji) have AF-C or focus tracking that's any good.

So one of my reasons for getting an A99 was to have at least one camera that can track moving objects.

I took my brand new A99 out today, got lots of great shots in AF-S, but couldn't really get AF-C/focus tracking to work well for me.

Question 1 -- what's the right settings and usage?  I had "wide" AF Zone, AF-C, Object Tracking ON.  Aim the center point on  the object to be tracked and then keep a half-shutter press as it moves around keeping the tracking box green?

Question 2 -- I tracked a dog, and it seemed to follow the dog but the center of the dog ended up in focus and his head slightly out of focus (out of the plane of focus).  How should I have used AF-C to track the dog's head and not the middle of his body?  Should I have had AF Zone on a single spot and kept that spot on his head?  "Object Tracking" on or off?

Thank you!

ebrandon's gear list:ebrandon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D600 Canon EOS 6D +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow