A99: Does the price point become rediculous for photographers?

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
travelshots_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
A99: Does the price point become rediculous for photographers?
Nov 5, 2012

For pure photographers like me (different situation if video is important to you), A99 is an A77 with 3 improvements:

- FF sensor

- Phantastic AF-range limiter

- AF-D

The rest is about the same as A77, even the flash is missing. An A77 costs 1029 Euro today in Germany, for an A99 the price is 2794 Euro. Nearly 3 times the price of an A77! I understood that the A99 price should not be much less than a Nikon D800, which I would prefer for photography (but my Sony and Minolta lenses don't fit), but the D800 is now at 2339 Euro, 450 Euro less than A99. D600 is just 1797 Euro today. Paying 450 Euro more for a camera with less image quality (my opinion based on the Imaging-Resource RAW files that I have downloaded, converted and compared) and without optical viewfinder (which as Sony stated saves significant costs) really sucks.

I am usally a patient and loyal Sony user (currently RX100, A580, A77 and 15 lenses), but my awaited shift to full frame is postponed (hoping for a price drop or a Sony FF camera better for photography next year). For photography (not video) currently Nikon offers better and now even cheaper FF cameras. Its just the better lenses (e.g. 70-400G) that makes me stay with Sony.

What do you thinK? Is A99 pricing still acceptable or completely unrealistic?

All prices found at http://geizhals.at/de/?cat=dcamsp

travelshots_dpr's gear list:travelshots_dpr's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +15 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow