GH1 vs G5

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Questions thread
junyeu
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
Re: GH1 vs G5
In reply to mazoeca, Nov 5, 2012

mazoeca wrote:

I'm considering an upgrade from the GH1 to the G5. Usually I try to avoid the "new toy" syndrome and try to upgrade only where I feel there might be a tangible improvement in image quality and/or ergonomics. On this basis, I upgraded from a Canon P&S to an FZ50 and thence to a GH1. I do not do movies. Otherwise I do like to try my hand at a variety of other subjects -- such as street casuals, landscapes, travel, macros, BIF and, most importantly, grandchildren. (I suppose at some stage I will tend to concentrate on some kind of specialty, but am not ready to do so yet). I would greatly appreciate a discussion of the relative merits of the two cameras to guide me towards a decision as to whether to act now of wait for a later upgrade to the G5. I note that DXOMark rates the GH1 sensor very slightly ahead of the G5 (as one might expect from the former's lower pixel density), but the G5 image processor may more than compensate. While DPReview has not yet rated the G5, other reviewers give it fairly high marks -- but I have not yet found any specific comparisons with the GH1. Would appreciate your views.

Image quality will definitely be an improvement, but panasonic has been using a similar sensor for the past 2 years already so you can regard it as 'only' being one generation ahead. The G5 is definitely an upgrade from previous models though, especially on the handling and performance. You may find the new silent shutter useful as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow