The good, the bad & the ugly: New computer adventures so far...

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
The good, the bad & the ugly: New computer adventures so far...
Nov 5, 2012

After years of comfort with 32 bit XP it was time to upgrade before I was forced to buy a Windows 8 machine. After all, I don't want to be dealing with 24MP files with a slow processor, 32 bit and 2 GB of memory! I anticipated some difficulties, but not this many! Just some highlights:

The good, Spyder2Pro: Download the 64 bit software, enter serial number, calibrate monitor.

The bad, Nikon: I lost my Capture NX key and the receipt for my five year old D300. Of course, switching to Windows 7 64 bit triggered the well-known problem. Submitted Capture NX2 Upgrade invoice and the numbers I have to Nikon. $200 for a new license would be no big deal.

The ugly, Western Digital: My new Inspiron 17R Special Edition can't read my 2TB My Book Mirror Edition. No 64 bit driver available. Western Digital won't even offer technical support for XP with this drive, yet NX was already out when I bought it (and both are advertised as compatiblr right on the box)! Anyway, no big deal as I'm buying a larger network mirrored drive and I'll transfer the data to it.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow