Second thoughts on XE1 Kit

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
dnercesian
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
Re: Second thoughts on XE1 Kit
In reply to Balthazar B, Nov 5, 2012

23mm 1.4, since it's the most versatile focal length for most of the photography I like to do. It would get the most day-to-day use by far.

Totally agree. I have to suspect this was withheld out of respect for the X100, but I still think it should have been first. The X100 still has it's appeal.

27mm pancake (!): I want to carry this in my pocket when I travel light and this is the best way to do so given my favorite mode of photography (street/general).

Just too redundant for me. If I had to carry something in my pocket, I'd just carry an X100. If I had to switch lenses, i wouldn't do so to go from 23 to 27. Not worth carrying and not worth the lens change.

56mm: A tough choice between this and the 14mm. But I'm slightly more inclined to have a good, fast portrait lens with excellent DoF potential.
Looking forward to this one a lot. This would be my 3rd choice.
14mm (though possibly the CZ 12mm) for architectural and vast landscape photography.
Redundant to me as I think this will be covered with the wide zoom.
18-55mm zoom: Versatility (at the cost of bulk, though), and early signs are it has excellent IQ end to end.
Pass on this if all the lenses were out for the choosing. With a gap between 23 and 56, I would just walk it. That in between has always been boring to me.
10-24mm zoom: Ditto, just on the short end of focal length.
2nd lens I would buy, just because it is what I personally use a lot, and the focal range is VERY versatile covering UWA, WA, and 23/35 equiv. I could shoot all day on this lens.
55-200mm zoom: Tritto, on the long end for those rare occasions when I do nature photography.
This would be my 4th purchase because I would have it just to have it, just in case I want the reach one day. It would likely sit in the bag most of the time. If I was doing journalistic work though, I would likely have this one permanently mounted on one body and the 10-24 on another.
60mm macro: Not an ideal focal length for macro (should be longer).
Although I hate having a lot of lenses, this would be my 5th lens because I am starting to find more interest in macro photography. I totally agree though that it should be longer. My favorite Macro on the Nikons was the 200mm macro.
18mm: Kind of superfluous if I already have the 14mm, 23mm, and mid-zoom.
Yep. PASS!
35mm: "Normal" lenses have always been the most boring for me, and again, superfluous between the 56mm (for portraits, etc.) and mid-zoom.
Totally agree, which is why I wouldn't carry the zoom either.

As (bad) luck would have it, only the last three lenses are currently available.

Very bad luck. The initial lenses are really great optically, but in no way part of the everyday system I would use.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinion/s and/or suggestion/s of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow