Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mauritsvw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Visiting African bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

It was a pleasant surprise when this bullfrog visited my porch the other night looking for food (the porch light attracts insects).

These bullfrogs (Pyxicephalus adspersus) can apparently grow up to 2 kilograms if it's a male (females are smaller), and can also be quite aggressive. Therefore I was a bit wary of handling it. My partner and me used two LED torches to light it while taking photos. The yellow underbelly indicates it's a male.

Also visiting at the same time was this more common cousin, a Karoo toad (Bufo gariepensis), I think.

A few years back, we had a very good breeding season for bullfrogs thanks to a wet season, and one day before I could mow my back lawn, I first had to collect all the little bullfrogs hiding in the grass. I counted 45, and took this picture before releasing them elsewhere. They're actually quite cute, with bright green stripes along their backs. Here they are:

The first two pics taken with K5 and Sigma 17-70, and the last one with MX and M50 1.7.

Frog trivia: 1. A group of toads is called a knot. 2. The world record for the longest triple jump by a
frog is held by a sharp nosed ridge frog (Ptychadena oxyrhynchus) named Santjie, which jumped 33 feet 5 and a half inches at a South African frog jumping derby in 1977.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Regards

Maurits 

mauritsvw's gear list:mauritsvw's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Pentax K-5 +1 more
Pentax K-5 Pentax Optio M50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow