Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomkinsr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Photo Edit Application
Nov 4, 2012

I am currently using a PC included Corel PainShop Photo Pro X3 for working with images.

There are times when I am not happy with the application, either the User Interface or the Results.

Now, the X5 version has come out. There have been reports of problems, random crashing being one.

My PC is Windows 7, 64 bit. I use Nikon NEF (RAW) files.

For the images I want to work with, I use Nikon ViewNX 2 to convert the RAW files to 16 bit TIFF.

I want a 64 bit native (not simply compatible) photo editing application that will work with 16 bit TIFF images. I do not want to convert to 8 bit and back, far too much dynamic range is lost.

I have seen some lesser known products (other than Adobe and Corel) such as Serif, ACDC, and at one time had seen some software from smaller firms in Europe.

One product that I had seen once was Photoline.

The issue is that I do not want to spend money to upgrade to a buggier version of Corel when it might be the right time to change product entirely.

Would anyone care to comment on photo editing applications that meet the requirements, 64 bit native, mulit-core CPU and 16 bit TIFF?

Many thanks for all valuable insights you can provide.

tomkinsr's gear list:tomkinsr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Canon Pixma iP4820 HP Officejet Pro K8600 +1 more
Pentax X-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow