So much negative Canon and 5D MK III chatter. 35+ "Real" world photos to show otherwise.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike Gerstner
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,570Gear list
Like?
Re: can we see a couple of raw files..........
In reply to bobn2, Nov 4, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

Mike Gerstner wrote:

...these look blown to me, and are not a good representation of hopefully what the 5dIII is capable of. Decreasing the exposure/highlights of an image with blown highlights so that the histogram shows that the highlights are below 255 does not mean that they are not blown, its just now they are a very light gray ( less than 255), which looks to be the case here.

You can't decrease the exposure once the capture is made. You can decrease the brightness. the exposure of these images has not blown the highlights, they have been processed too bright for web use

Bob

Its a matter of semantics........lightroom and PS both show "Exposure" as an adjustment slider, but you are correct, what it does is increase/decrease the brightness of the image. They also have a brightness slider, which, to my understanding supposedly effects more of the middle tones, while exposure has more effect on the extremes. The difference is subtle, I think.

......but the argument still holds, decreasing the "brightness" of an image so the blown highlights fall below 255 does not mean the image does not have blown highlights.

Only those who have access to the raw file will know......... perhaps (hopefully), as you suggest, it is less than optimal post processing.

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow