New Mac Mini...

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
k.alexander
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: New Mac Mini...
In reply to Mouser, Nov 4, 2012

I actually have it already. Picked it up a few days ago, but have fond only limited time to play with it. I dont have the additional RAM yet, nor the correct display (currently running on a 46" LCD via HDMI), nor the kb/trackpad from Apple that i want.

So far Aperture runs very fast own it, with the bottleneck clearly being the only 4GB that's in there now, which causes caching/paging to the slow 5400rpm HD. It's still leaps and bounds faster than the 15" CoreDuo 1.83 MBP that I'm upgrading from, but I expect even faster performance with 16GB of Ram. Also I will add a second drive, an SSD, into the mini, but based on how fast the machine is now, I'll probably put off adding the SSD for a bit.

I haven't tried any very heavy lifting in PS yet, I do much of my work in Aperture, but I'll be giving PS a try. The CPU is crazy fast in the mini so I'm really not worried. Overall, the mini seems like the smart buy here when compared to the 2011 and the 2012 iMacs.

-- hide signature --

www.AManWithACamera.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow