ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
L_art_prints
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
New OM-D. Now for the lenses.
Nov 4, 2012

Hello,

I bought a new OM-D yesterday with the kit 12-50 lens. I also picked up a used Panasonic 7-14 for $600 to try out. I've got 2 weeks in which to return either or both, if I change my mind.

I'm a painter and I'll be shooting lots of landscapes for reference material. I also travel and take street, landscape and food shots. Some family shots. And a lot of photos of paintings in museums. I generally shoot jpegs. I don't print photos, I look at them on an iMac or iPad.

I bought the OM-D (was sorely tempted by the Fuji XE1) because I like the size, the speed and accuracy of the autofocus and its reputation for low-light photos. I switched from the NEX-3 and plan to sell that. I use an older Nikon D-60 to photograph my finished paintings. It works well except it sometimes struggles mightily to focus.

I'm not sure about keeping the 7-14. It's beautifully sharp, but I may be happier with a smaller, lighter wide angle prime so that I can slip it into my purse. I also take a lot of my photos at dusk or at night and would like something that works well in low light.

I'd appreciate any advice. Should I keep it (sharp, good price for that lens) or should I get the 12mm or 14mm?

I'm also tempted to swap out the kit 12-50 for a 20mm or 25mm prime with the idea of getting a 45mm prime later. In which case, I'd have 3 primes and no zooms and I'd need to bring at least 1 extra lens when I travel.

Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow