Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,834
Like?
cheapest camera with proper viewfinder.
Nov 4, 2012

My father-in-law (aged 75) wants a new camera - he has had typical compacts over the years and I was about to recommend an Olympus XZ-1 which are cheap at the moment.  But he now wants an optical viewfinder, as he now finds that he can't hold the camera out in front of him without shaking slightly, and he also finds himself squinting at the LCD screen as his eyesight isn't so good.  So a viewfinder which allows a classical grip and arms-tucked-in stance, with a nice bright image, would suit him better.  But - he doesn't want 'anything too complicated'.

I'm not aware of any camera with an OVF that isn't a DSLR so my thinking would be an entry level DSLR left on P-mode.  But he regards a DSLR as a bit scary.  Cameras with good electronic viewfinders are (I think) above his price range

Does anyone know if there are any other smallish cameras that have a viewfinder and don't look too forbiddiing to someone used to simple compacts - possibly a rangefinder style (without the Leica price)?

Thanks in advance

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow