The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600 (Part II)...

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Catalana Senior Member • Posts: 1,257
The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600 (Part II)...

Hi folks, the original thread started by 'Snapternity' has reached its limit of posts, so I'll continue with this...

First of all, I want to mention a big "CAUTION/WARNING" to those folks that do not have any experience wet cleaning. Please refer to the post that 'Prairie Pal' made at the end of the original thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50191379

in which he describes observing the mechanical action inside the mirror box using the "Bulb" release mode. The part with the scratch/abrasion pivots down during shutter actuation, and then back up when the shutter closes and the mirror drops. It is like a little door that opens and closes, covering or exposing the pathway of light, that is responsible for the phase detect auto-focus operation.

Do not go poking around in that area. The 'door' is extremely sensitive and if prodded, can get misaligned. This may cause the 'door' to get stuck in a down position and you may not be able to auto-focus, since the light reflected from the secondary mirror will not reach the PDAF module. Trust me, I got a little fiber stuck in the gap, and that was enough to cause the 'door' to get stuck. Fortunately I saw it and was able to carefully remove it.

I have a fair amount of experience in electronics repair, and yet I skipped a few heart beats. All is well now. Please be careful when investigating, as I know that some will do. 

Just to report on the spots: I cleaned the sensor and most spots are gone. There are a few very stubborn ones, but they don't bother me one bit. The abrasion does not seem to have gotten any worse either, so I've gotten to the point were I am OK with this marvelous piece of gear.

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow