RCicala
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
Re: Really an f/2.0 to f/2.8 lens
In reply to Anders W, Nov 4, 2012

Anders W wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Horshack wrote:

In terms of getting an acceptably sharp image, at least at the long end where it's likely to be used the most. Disappointing for a $1500 lens that is supposed to compete with the big boys from Canon/Nikon.

Actually, the lens is probably an f/2.0 to f/2.8 lens, which is why it looks sharper "wide open" at 35mm, because it's actually stopped down at that aperture and focal length.

This is the laws of physics... as the focal length increases, you need a physically larger aperture to arrive at the same f/stop ratio.

I don't understand why Panasonic didn't make it an f/2.0 to f/2.8 lens.

It appears that Canikon have managed to even out the performance difference between the short and the long end on their 70-200/2.8s so that the long end is no longer lagging compared to the short on later generations of these lenses. See here:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/11/are-zooms-are-always-sharper-at-one-extreme-or-the-other

I guess that's what Roger has in mind when he says he is a bit disappointed at the performance of the 35-100 at the long end.

That is exactly what I had in mind. Somehow people seem to have missed that I said "i'll buy one, it's the best zoom available." I had truly hoped that it would be as sharp at the long end as the near end, but it's still sharper at 100 than anything else I have available, and at f/4 it's perfectly sharp.

I've been shooting with it all weekend and enjoying it a lot. Very nice lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow