So much negative Canon and 5D MK III chatter. 35+ "Real" world photos to show otherwise.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Travelintrevor
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Link that explains how to expose for wedding dress from Neil van Niekerk
In reply to Mike CH, Nov 4, 2012

Mike CH wrote:

Travelintrevor wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

Travelintrevor wrote:

russbarnes wrote:

You're trying to tell everyone this isn't blown?

Yes. Yes I am. Not a single detail. See SNIP

NOT even CLOSE to any clipping.

Trevor, I think Russ has gotten confused between overexposed and blown.

To my taste, your JPGs are slightly overexposed, but there is no way they are blown.

Regards,
Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Perhaps he is confused. not sure. I expose for the dress (i.e for white and that is 1.5-2 stops over 0EV depending on camera) Once dialed in, the rest of the photo is "properly" exposed. This is a standard way most wedding photogs expose. These photos are pretty much spot on.

To quote Mr. Adams, you are putting the dress in Zone 7. Where it belongs

I am talking about less than perhaps -1/5 EV for the JPGs. And in that area taste starts playing a role...

To be fair, the histograms of the JPGs from your gallery look different from the ones in your LR. They are further to the right, and there are some specular highlights. That -1/5 EV above brings them much closer to the versions in your snips.

Regards,
Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Indeed Mike! Great to see someone know a bit about "proper" exposure. Not sure why we are getting different histograms for the same shot. Perhaps uploading to DP does something? I think the reason we (you and I) see my photos a little different is because we do not have the same calibration. I actually ordered what I will call "calibration" prints from bayphoto through smugmug. After I calibrated my editing monitor, I noticed that there was something a little off when I received the prints. It was not much but just enough and after I got the "calibration" prints from them, I played around with the contrast and brightness a bit and now my print monitor is 99.9% in accord with the prints UNLESS metallic prints are ordered. Then the photos look even better! Had I know that exposure would be the dominant topic throughout this post, I would have skipped it altogether. I just made the horrible assumption that most of us out there have calibrated equipment.

Happy shooting,

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow