So much negative Canon and 5D MK III chatter. 35+ "Real" world photos to show otherwise.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Travelintrevor
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Link that explains how to expose for wedding dress from Neil van Niekerk
In reply to Mike CH, Nov 4, 2012

Mike CH wrote:

Travelintrevor wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

Travelintrevor wrote:

russbarnes wrote:

You're trying to tell everyone this isn't blown?

Yes. Yes I am. Not a single detail. See SNIP

NOT even CLOSE to any clipping.

Trevor, I think Russ has gotten confused between overexposed and blown.

To my taste, your JPGs are slightly overexposed, but there is no way they are blown.

Regards,
Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Perhaps he is confused. not sure. I expose for the dress (i.e for white and that is 1.5-2 stops over 0EV depending on camera) Once dialed in, the rest of the photo is "properly" exposed. This is a standard way most wedding photogs expose. These photos are pretty much spot on.

To quote Mr. Adams, you are putting the dress in Zone 7. Where it belongs

I am talking about less than perhaps -1/5 EV for the JPGs. And in that area taste starts playing a role...

To be fair, the histograms of the JPGs from your gallery look different from the ones in your LR. They are further to the right, and there are some specular highlights. That -1/5 EV above brings them much closer to the versions in your snips.

Regards,
Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Indeed Mike! Great to see someone know a bit about "proper" exposure. Not sure why we are getting different histograms for the same shot. Perhaps uploading to DP does something? I think the reason we (you and I) see my photos a little different is because we do not have the same calibration. I actually ordered what I will call "calibration" prints from bayphoto through smugmug. After I calibrated my editing monitor, I noticed that there was something a little off when I received the prints. It was not much but just enough and after I got the "calibration" prints from them, I played around with the contrast and brightness a bit and now my print monitor is 99.9% in accord with the prints UNLESS metallic prints are ordered. Then the photos look even better! Had I know that exposure would be the dominant topic throughout this post, I would have skipped it altogether. I just made the horrible assumption that most of us out there have calibrated equipment.

Happy shooting,

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow