X-E1 & X-Pro1 Dynamic Range

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
noyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 & X-Pro1 Dynamic Range
In reply to M4cr0s, Nov 4, 2012

M4cr0s wrote:

Looking at the RAWs the X-trans sensor seem to have a really impressive dynamic range, but it might be slightly better in the highlights than the shadows. The files also appear to have more latitude than for instance the 16mp Sony-sensor D7000 which is no slouch for an APS-C and decidedly more than the X100. Simply pulling the recovery or exposure sliders in a RAW converter, although RAW conversion of the X-trans is still in it's infancy, reveals a lot.

Perhaps you are right and I need to be more patient.

Whatever you're seeing in the web-sized jpgs I don't think it's a valid basis for drawing any conclusion about DR. While lacking DXO-data, all things still hint at the X-Pro1/X-E1 being among the top dynamic range performers in this sensor size, which means it is surely surpassing the venerable S5 along with most if not all present APS-C sensors.

Again, perhaps you are right. I had high hopes of this sensor being near or equal to the Fuji DSLRs for DR, with all the benefits of improved  resolution and high ISO performance. I'm just not seeing demonstrated by the forum contributors here.

Maybe it is indicative of the changing calibre of forum contributors and I need to watch out for more experienced contributors to draw out the best.

-- hide signature --

Norman Young
www.noyo.eu

noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow