So much negative Canon and 5D MK III chatter. 35+ "Real" world photos to show otherwise.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Travelintrevor
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Really? Which?
In reply to Mike CH, Nov 4, 2012

Mike CH wrote:

caspianm wrote:

Apewithacamera wrote:

They typically need a camera like a D800/D600 to rescue their snaps because they don't know how to figure out basic exposure.

While I like the above set a lot, the bride's dress highlights are blown out in nearly all the pictures. Either exposure error or the camera DR or both.

In nearly all?

I just had a look in Lightroom at the first 8 images with the bride highlighted.

While there are some few specular high lights in the dress in the images, they are few, and there is a lot of detail in the dress. One exception is the image with the bride behind the groom over the covering. But apart from that I can't really see the problem.

Is your monitor adjusted?

While I personally probably would have dropped the high lights down a bit, there is no way that they are blown or have no detail.

Regards,
Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Thanks Mike. I am sure large part of the problem is that they do not print their work and thus have no need for a calibrated monitor. I have seen all these photos in print and they look better on KODAK paper than they do on my calibrated monitor.

They would rather ASSUME blown highlight then grab the shot and use LR to prove themselves wrong. Plus even if the histogram shows blown highlights, it still may be exposed properly since I use the dress and dial in 1.5-2 stops over 0 EV. I expose for the subject (bride, or groom)and not the background unless I use OCF to balance said exposure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow