Why is the Canon 24TSE not sharp at infinity when set at f4?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JimTetro
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Why is the Canon 24TSE not sharp at infinity when set at f4?
Nov 4, 2012

I have had the lens for some time and yet I ran a test just today focusing on some trees that were pretty close to the infinity setting on the lens and then taking pictures at f4 to f22.  At the smallest aperture the trees were acceptably sharp but the sharpness continued to deteriorate as I opened up the lens.  Finally at f5.6 and most certainly at f4 there was no sharpness whatsoever in the images.  Oddly, I then focused on the side of a building that was somewhat closer and, at f4, it was fairly sharp.  What I need to verify is a suspicion I have had for some time that there is something quirky about the digital medium and the lenses as well.  For as long as I shot with film, the images were always sharp at the focus point no matter what f stop I used.  This is simply not the case with the digital medium and I find it very annoying.  The cameras and lenses are very, very expensive and yet they deliver images that are much inferior to those delivered with film based cameras and lenses.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow