So much negative Canon and 5D MK III chatter. 35+ "Real" world photos to show otherwise.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Travelintrevor
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
So much negative Canon and 5D MK III chatter. 35+ "Real" world photos to show otherwise.
Nov 4, 2012

There have been so many negative posts about Canon, the 5D Mark III (1DX also) and how Canon has such inferior sensor technology lately and I can't figure out why. Some of the complaints are about sensors, noise, shadows, price, how Nikon sensor is just so much better, how DxO rates Canon so low, lack of DR, etc. While everyone of the complaints did have merit ON THEIR OWN, they seemed to ignore the overall package that Canon has delivered with the 5D MK III (and the 1DX).

The 5D MK III is, to put it plainly, the best OVERALL camera for the price IMO.

The files are sharp and crisp

The ISO rocks

The camera tracks like nothing else

Lighting fast focus

Programmable and customization are just superb

Build like a tank

Superb DR at high ISO

That oh so amazing screen that is just as good as the Apple Retina displays.

And you can see your photos on that display in bright sunlight

All AF points are needed and in the right place.

Perfect megapixel amount. We can keep shooting when the D800 needs a 2 minute buffer break

I included photos from two weddings in which the 5D Mark III played an integral role. Even if one of the weddings was shot outside and in plenty of light, I never stayed under 1600 ISO for much of the time because I knew the DR would be there, I needed fast shutter speed and the files are clean. Noise is something that actually shows up more on your monitor than in actual prints. In fact, without NR, I would say a good 8x12 print will show up to 50% less noise than what you see on the monitor.

The photos below show, I hope, that the 5D MK III is an all-around-wonder that excels in most areas. I would not trade it for anything in the world. Unless I only shot landscapes...then I would go D800.

I also included photos that are taken for personal use/pleasure such as family shots and a few landscapes.

PS. If you are finding that some lack detail/sharpness, you will need to view the larger file via the gallery. Also, some of the captions I added just did not make it through to the final post for some reason and I can't change that now.

Focused with extreme back-lighting.

Plenty of DR here. Bright light in the foreground and open shade but no clipping

ISO 1600 gave me plenty of DR. The final edited print version had flies and all leaves removed

Plenty of DR at ISO 1600 here. I need to be able to shoot at high ISO because as I move from left to right, the light changed and I do not want to change f stop, just shutter speed. See next photo, it is 1/500

Plenty of DR at ISO 1600. The bride stepped into direct and bright sunlight. Less DR at this ISO would have left me with clipping on her face.

Plenty of light? Yes...but you have to be ready to move when shooting weddings. ISO 1600 was picked for inside photos and when I saw this, all I had to do was change shutter speed. I knew my high ISO would not negate the results.

Sometimes lack of DR is a great thing. That bright background is because the door is open and sunlight was poring over the yard. Perfect DR would have show an ugly green fence and stuff in the yard.

Most of these 800 ISO shots could have been taken at ISO 100 but would have left me with a slow shutter speeds. Why risk blurry photos? Again, great DR at this ISO. Some sunlight was hiding the dress but they were in the shade but I had nothing to worry about because the 5D MK III rocks.

The worlds worst lighting. Even the video dudes complained. I still had clean shadows.

Even at 1/125, his head is blurry because they were walking fast! But the 5D MK III tracked them with no problem

Even at 1/125, his head is blurry because they were walking fast! But the 5D MK III tracked them with no problem

The back-lighting here was so hard that the camera could not focus and I had to switch to Live view and zoom in on their faces to get the shots. Guess no camera is perfect.

Two soft boxes to light them and a slow enough shutter to let in ambient light. I am always grateful for the amazing ISO that our cameras have.

sooooo much leeway in the RAW files. This is ONE exposure only.

rich colors! very little processing here

2 shot pano

6 shot pano. hit #6 on flickr explore.

Heavily cropped..still nothing exciting but the data/pixels is/are there if you need them.

rich blacks even with harsh sunlight.

Why trust those precious family photos to a lesser performing camera? Clean ass ISO 6400!

SOOC!

When we are out and about, I grab both my cameras but the 5D MK III sees most of the action.

The 5D MK III makes "lesser" glass perform like L glass. This is the plastic fantastic 50mm f/1.8.

The 5D MK III makes "lesser" glass perform like L glass. This is the plastic fantastic 50mm f/1.8. It just nails the focus more often than not.

ISO 1600. soft box to my left. great for night shooting too

5D MK III....I love you! Thank you for being the all around wonder that you are!

Stop waiting for the price to come down, stop complaining about the "inferior" sensor and get out and shoot. The 5D MK III rocks...

Rudy

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow