damn you sony, damn you. firs shot with the d600

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
I wonder if it's all Sony
In reply to kevindar, Nov 4, 2012

First, great shot.  I switched from Sony to Nikon because I'm primarily a sports shooter.  I noticed that on my old Sony a700 (admittedly a different generation vs today's sensors) the old adage to expose to the right seemed correct.  It was easier to bring down the highlights a bit than to try to recover the shadows.  My new camera is the D700 and with it I find that I'm better off protecting the highlights and letting it under expose.  The amount that I can lift the shadows is amazing -- at least compared to my old Sony.  As far as I know, the d700 didn't use a sony sensor.

Again, a bit of apples and oranges given the age of both sensors but it does make me wonder whether software is part of the difference.

I suppose if I got motivated I could try to track down some D300 shots and see how they behaved compared to the sony.  Same sensor and time period.

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow