My initial impressions of the X-E1 w/ 18mm and 35mm lenses.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
awelch100
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
My initial impressions of the X-E1 w/ 18mm and 35mm lenses.
Nov 4, 2012

I recently received my new X-E1 and thought I would give my initial impressions.

Pros

+ Image Quality- The camera's image quality is excellent. White balance is much better than my 5D Mkii and metering is more accurate when using automatic modes.

+ Controls- Very well thought out and a pleasure to use.ma lot more fun to shoot with than a DSLR.

+ EVF- I am very impressed with the EVF and have had no issues with it. It's a pleasure to use in all conditions, from very low light to bright sunshine.

Cons

+ Auto focus- Very lens dependent. The 18mm has performs well in very low light, but the 35mm is useless. Changing the size of the AF box can help but the X-E1 is still far out-classed by my DSLR. I hope the 23mm will perform better as it will be my primary lens. Thankfully, manual focusing is a pleasure with the X-E1 so this compensates somewhat for the poor AF in low light.

+ Overall speed- the X-E1 is not a quick camera. Everything seems to take longer than it should- time between individual shots(not burst mode), write time, and playback time, etc. I have never had to wait to review a shot on my DSLR, so it is a bit annoying to do that with the X-E1. DISCLOSURE- I am using a slow SD card because the 95MBps card that I ordered from Amazon has failed to show up. I'm sure that the slow card is part of the problem, but I have never had any issues when using slow CF cards with my 5D so I assume the X-E1 is at least partly to blame. I will report back in the next few days when I get the fast card.

Summary

Overall, I am very happy that I purchased the X-E1. It's image quality is exceptional and using it is just plain fun, much more satisfying than an SLR. In most conditions it performs admirably, but it is not a speedy camera. For extreme low light photography I will still use my 5D because it's auto-focus is much faster and more accurate and I can quickly review shots.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-E1 w/ 35mm f/1.4 and 18mm f/2.0
Canon 5D MkII w/ 24-70 f/2.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Canon 85 f/1.8, etc, etc...

awelch100's gear list:awelch100's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow