Started Nov 4, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
smilingcdn
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Lens f-Stops Between 4/3 and FX
Nov 4, 2012

Good morning all.  I have a general question on the difference between f-stops on lenses that are constants but are between to different sensors.

For example, maybe taking two extremes - how would the new Panny 12-35 f2.8 perform at f2.8 vs the Nikon 24-120 f4 in the equivalent focal lengths taking into account the expected significant low light performance?  Putting them on a body like the GX1 and D600 respectively.  Would the Panny f.28 come even the close to compensating in lower light and that could have lower ISO compared to Nikon f4 if everything else is the same?

Sorry, I may have butchered the technical aspects of this stuff but I tried to find some info online and I am probably not searching with the correct terms.  I'm trying to understand the relationship between sensor size, aperture and ISO.

I do have the GX1 and works for me, especially with the 25mm f1.4 lense but I struggle with the pancake zoom in lower light where my ISO gets cranked up to 1600+.   Still learning so I know its me most of the time (like forgetting to slow down the shutter speed to let more light in when high shutter speed is not needed and then wonder why I get high ISO pics).

Anyway, looking to get some feedback/comments on people's experience and thoughts on this.  Curious to how this works.

Feel free to pass along links instead.

Thanks,

George

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow