B&W?

Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,242Gear list
Like?
Re: B&W?
In reply to Clayton Jones, Nov 4, 2012

Clayton Jones wrote:

In the past I used B&W UV filters (MRC 010) on all my lenses. Now I would like to protect my 75mm / 45mm / 9-18 mm Zuikos as well (doesn't have to be UV per sé). Now I also read about the B&W MRC Nano XS Pro series. Anyone any experiences with these? Recommendable? I'm also thinking of going to the 007 series B&W Filters (clear). Maybe less impact on IQ (I did not find this bothersome on the 010 series however)??

All experiences / recommendations are welcome.

The Hoya HMC UV-0 filters got the highest rating in this test

www.lenstip.com/113.4-article-
UV_filters_test_Description_of_the_results_and_summary.html

It's an interesting article which explains about UV radiation, how it affects digital sensors, their test procedures, etc. The above link is the summary page (4), but it's worth reading the UV page (2).

Regards,
Clayton

Clayton's link is very interesting, and is well worth a read. I read it myself last year before deciding to go with B+W. Personally, I disagree with lenstip's conclusions about Hoya offering the best UV filter. If you look closely at the Hoya photographs it has worse flare than the B+W. Also, B+W's brass rings are easier to unscrew from metal lenses and their coatings are easier to clean.

I use B+W MRC UV filters, but like you I am thinking of switching to the clear filters - not because of image quality, but because of mould. I live in a damp country and mould has destroyed many lenses here. One way to protect against mould is to use your lenses regularly in bright sunlight, as UV kills mould. Of course, if one has screwed a UV filter onto one's lens, that aint gonna work ...

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
B&W?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow