Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,216Gear list
Like?
XZ-1 pricing and human nature
Nov 4, 2012

How I struggled a year back deciding between an XZ-1 and E-PM1 (which I ultimately selected).  Price was about the same, around $450-475, as was size.  The XZ-1 had that wonderful sharp and bright zoom and a 3" OLED screen, while the E-PM1 had this silly small screen (2.3" useable area in 4/3's) but featured interchangeable lenses and I could use my 4/3's lenses on it with an adapter (which finally swayed me), serving as a second body to my E-620.

Now the XZ-1 has dropped to $199, which I would have leaped at then, but I'm not jumping on it.  Part of it is duplication of what my E-PM1 can do, part is what I've learned about not being able to turn NR off and weak video, and part is simply getting caught up in watching newer technology becoming available (RX-100 and E-PM2 w/ E-M5 sensor).

Yesterday's darling can quickly become today's afterthought.  Still a great camera, and a real tease at $199, but I likely wouldn't use it enough to justify the purchase.  Hopefully this leaves plenty of copies of this very good camera for those who still do appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow