Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brucet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,584
Like?
Pixel peeping. How far?
Nov 4, 2012

Yesterday I had a friend ask to compare his D80 output with my D7000. We set up both cameras with the same settings. Took identical photos. Downloaded them to my computer and started comparing side by side. (Same ISO, focal length, AMode the lot. All in Jpeg. Although I also saved them as Raw. We also stepped up through ISO looking for the 'noise' fall away. No other changes).

The thing is I think he is a 'typical' user in that he pixel peeps and believes that megapixel is king. (The reason for the comparison was he wants to move up to a 24 meg camera 'because it gives better quality'. I believed his 'quality' issues stemmed from him always using a to low shutter speed due to always using ISO100. He believe ISO100 = quality. I took him up to 800ISO on his camera and he was amazed when he got sharp photos with higher shutter speeds. Albeit a bit noisy. But alas he still believes in more pixels = better quality/sharper pictures. I gave up ).

My question is - at what zoom rate does one consider a fair % to make a 'realistic' comparison. I tried to tell him that 50% was realistic given the size of any possible prints. 100% tops. He wanted to zoom in 200% to do a comparison.

Comments thanks.

regards

Nikon D7000 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow