Started Nov 4, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
R Dunlop
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
Lens 'busted', need help to fix?
Nov 4, 2012

My kit lens AF-S, Nikor 18 - 70mm DX failed me at a really bad moment.  The parade commander called 'quick march' at a Vietnam Veterens reunion in Bruce Rock, Western Australia. The parade leaders moved towards me, I lifted the D90 and the lens zoom failed to 'zoom'.

I managed to fiddle it about and captured the moment but its 'buggered' (Aussie term for broken).

Its beside me as I type and I have ordered a Tamron f2.8 - 4.0 17-70mm replacement which should be here in a few days.

OK, it feels life something is 'jamming' the movement and if I roll it about, push it around I can find limited movement.  Not the full range, not smooth and not passed the 24mm point.  I had 'sand' in the lens slide once and it feels similar without the 'crunchie' noise.  A bit of 'tapping' and inverting sorted that out.  Its been 'bumped' a few times, my wife dropped it once on a concrete floor but other than that it has survived an awfull lot.

OK, question?  Don't think its worth sending in for repair, replacement is A$370.00 and on its way already. Its around 8YO, purchased with my original D70.  I would like to open it up, take a look and see what happened?

How do you open a lens, its at the front element area I need to get into seems to be catching inside the telescoping parts of the unit.  Do I need some special tool?  Someone out there has done this and fail or win I'm prepared to give it a go. Like to look inside anyway, curious.

If its busted so be it but love to have a go at a fix, please no 'hammer and stilson' jokes, how do I pull this thing to bits........

-- hide signature --

Hotworks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow