My D600 got really wet yesterday

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
Re: My D600 got really wet yesterday
In reply to Jack Simpson, Nov 4, 2012

This.  A couple of plastic bags in your gear bag.  Cut a hole in them if you need to.  Use it to pick up dog poop.  Hold your lunch.  Cover your head.  Act as a soft box (white ones anyway).

Light rain generally won't damage gear but the kicker is that the manufacturer is 1) not going to warranty water damage and 2) not going to tell you exactly how much water exposure a camera / lens setup is going to be able to take.  So prudence says err on the side of caution.

One advantage to the pre built, bulkier raincoats like that shown in the OP's picture is they can protect the lens from water.  Lots of drops on the lens is going to lessen contrast.  I'll take my Kata cover if I'm going to be working off a tripod in the rain.  That way I can protect the lens better and getting to the controls is easy with the camera bolted down.  If I'm going hand held, I tend to use the plastic bag or just go naked, singing in the rain.....

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow