Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 961Gear list
Like?
Some examples with the new Nikkor 18-300VR DX
Nov 4, 2012

I was really surprised to read DPReview's test on this lens. I've just returned from a 3 week tour of Eastern Europe taking around 3,000 images with this lens. I had previously used the 18-200VR ever since the D80 days then the D90 and then on the D7000. I usually carry two DX bodies when I travel, one with a 12-24 and the other with the 18-200VR plus a 70-300VR for when I need extra reach. The new 18-300VR lets me leave the 70-300 at home and makes room in my 'sling-shot' bag for the Fuji X100LE and wide convertor.

Given the poor review of the 18-300, in relation to the VR and IQ at full zoom, I thought it might be useful to show a few shots for people ondering over the purchase of this lens.

There's one shot taken in a dimmly lit church taken at 1/13th sec exposure. All the images are hand held with the D7000 set Auto ISO and Manual exposure. The best of the shots go into coffee table books with the largest images at A3 size (about 2/3 the size of that viewed on a 24" monitor) and most much smaller.

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df +10 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D80 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TimeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow