Teila Day
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,322
Like?
Re: Is DPReview Nikon biased?
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Nov 4, 2012

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

To my mind, the Nikon D90 is should be in the "Pro" DX group rather than Consumer DX.

Um, no. The d90 was a replacement of the entry level d80 which was a replacement of the entry level d70.

Nikon's "entry level" cameras are the D3XXX and D5XXX series. The D90 is an enthusiast/semi-pro body, or whatever you want to call it. Lots of people used that body professionally for weddings and the like. The D80 wasn't "entry level" either, the D40 and D60 at the time were the "entry level" bodies.

Regardless, we'd have 100 forums if there wasn't at least some grouping, who cares.

I would agree with Redfox88. Without getting too complicated you basically had three tiers then and have the same now.

1) Pro D4 (in the past there were 2 "big brick" bodies in this category)

2) D800, D600, D700, D300, D200, D100 (starting with the D200 buffer speed really separated this class from the lower tier)

3) D90, D80, D50, D40, D-whatever else is the upper crust of the rest of the stuff.

That's how I see it no matter what Nikon marketing wants to call it. They're in the business of selling things so I don't go by their definition with blinders on.

We all know that the professional usage lines are being blurred with cameras like the D800, D700, etc., but the fact still remains. It's mostly a 3 tier ball game irrespective of how many working pros use a D80 for their back up camera.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow