Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
darkhorseSG
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Is this setup crazy?
Nov 4, 2012

I am an amateur and photography is only an hobby for me. I'm trying to create a kit that I can travel with and have the best balance of portability and image quality.

First the facts that everyone knows -

1) full frame have an inherent advantage when it come to wide angles (no crop). 4/3 have an inherent advantage when it comes to telephoto (2x magnification).

2) full frame bodies like D600 are not too bulky - it's the lenses like 70-200mm 2.8 that break your back.

3) FF will always have the bokeh advantage (laws of optics). Crop sensors can also have good bokeh with fast telephotos.

So to cover 24-200mm, and have 2.8 or faster lenses without breaking my back while travelling, I have the following setup -

1) D600 + 24-70mm 2.8 + 85mm 1.8

2) OM-D + 35-100 mm 2.8

(Instead of buying 70-200 2.8, I'm getting OM-D and 35-100 for roughly the same price. 70-200 2.8 is one the greatest lenses ever; but carrying it is no fun.)

This setup will cover all bases. I wouldn't even have to change lenses regularly.

Do you people think it's a viable setup? I am just trying to exploit the strengths of each system.

24-70mm is the white elephant here but for the range it gives exquisite images, especially with a full frame. And I don't mind it's weight as long as everything else in the bag is very light.

darkhorseSG's gear list:darkhorseSG's gear list
Nikon D600
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow