Electronic Viewfinder - Drop Rear Screen?

Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,154Gear list
Like?
Re: No, disagree...
In reply to cfgphoto, Nov 4, 2012

cfgphoto wrote:

iceccream wrote:

i don't think i will buy another camera without an articulated screen. in fact, 99% of my shots are taken with with the screen popped out, and shooting usually from the hip.

I take it that when you're shooting like that you're relying entirely on autofocus? Manually focusing on a precise area of the frame must be difficult when using the rear screen of a hand-held camera.

Absolutely not. When I use direct manual focus (DMF) then as soon as I touch a part of my screen or start manually focusing then the camera zooms in where I am focusing -- that zoom is perfect on the LCD fro me. With focus peaking, I can quickly see just how in focus the object is. AF gets me very close and then it's just a matter of a little tweak (e.g., to bring eyelashes into perfect focus). Like I noted I had a Nikon D70 for 7 years and I MUCH prefer the LCD for detailed focusing on the NEX.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow