Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JaviB
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
NEX 6 vs entry level DSLR
Nov 3, 2012

Hi all, this is my first post and I am thinking of buying a new camera to get into the "DSLR" or "DSLR-like" world.

I bought a compact Panasonic TZ8 a couple of years ago, since it has manual controls but I have reached its limit. I use it when I travel but I can't make the pictures I'd like with it.

I take photos mostly when I travel so I'm considering buying a NEX-6 but I don't want to spend much more than 1200$ (here in Spain it cost around 900€ with the 16-50 pancake), so I wouldn't buy anything else than the camera and the kit lens. Buying high quality lenses like the zeiss or sony primes wouldn`t be an option for me. So I dont know if buying a NEX-6 with kit lens would mean having a great sensor but poor lens (distortion, vigneting) and I could not take the high quality images I'm looking for. Maybe I could buy the 55-210 one day but then the main advantage of the NEX system (small size) would have dissapeared.

Another option is to go for a nikon D3200 with 18-105 (649€), D5100 with 18-105 (699€) or D5100 with 18-55 + 55-200 (699€). With these combinations I wouldn't need extra lenses to start and I'd cover a wider range. It would be less portable but maybe I could take better pictures for less cost than with the NEX + 16-50. And I could add a nikon 35mm F/1,8 for just 200€.

I know that having to carry a DLSR + lens is a pain when you travel but I dont know if buying a great body like the NEX-6 but stay with a kit lens really worths it.

What would you recommend?

JaviB's gear list:JaviB's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
Nikon D3200 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 (Lumix DMC-TZ8) Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow