Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ann Chaikin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,878Gear list
Like?
Question about GH3 and other equipment for travel to Africa
Nov 3, 2012

I am going to Africa next year. I want to take good equipment to take photos of wild animals and scenery and people. I will be taking some video footage too but I am not a professional in that realm at all. My original plan was to buy the GH3 as my primary body. I have one on order. And use the GH2 as a second body. I'm still leaning in that direction.

I had two GH2s but sold one to get part of the cost of the GH3 in the bank for when the new body arrives. I also decided to buy the new 12-35 lens for my main walk around lens and I like that lens very much. I am planning to sell the 14-45 lens to help pay for that. Already sold my 20 as I found I rarely used it. So I currently own: (all Panasonic)

GH2 with over 25,000 shots on it

12-35

7-14

100-300

I have ordered the 45-150 but it hasn't arrived yet. I am debating the 35-100 instead but the price is prohibitive.

So here is my question: should I really get the GH3? or should I get another GH2 or a G5 instead? I'm thinking about the cost and the danger of losing the much more expensive body. I'm also thinking about new batteries and other accessory costs. BUT I'm also thinking about having the best possible image quality for the photos I'll be taking of wildlife. And about having a weather sealed body in a dusty situation.

And if you wonder about why not take primes instead - I always seem to have the wrong lens on when I meet a situation and I find that very frustrating. What I plan is to have two bodies with zooms on them with me, one with the 100-300 and the other with the 12-35 or the 45-150/35-100.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. I appreciate any suggestions you have or comments.

Ann Chaikin's gear list:Ann Chaikin's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma DP2 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow