Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
motobloat
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
********** Challenge 156 - Results **********
Nov 3, 2012

Going to keep it simple and just do a 1st, 2nd, 3rd plus 7 honorable mention - ten total.

Here is the link to the challenge itself: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3286410

First off, seven "honorable mentions" in no particular order at all:

Mako2011 - "Columbia Last Seen"
​I liked the composition and the square crop, although leveling the horizon could have improved this a bit.  The content certainly fits the theme of the challenge.

​_zedagive - "Missing You"
There is a great emotion and feeling with this image.  I would love to see it processed with more care - as it is, there is way too much contrast and the blacks and whites are clipped.  The vignette is overdone as well.  With more thoughtful B&W processing, this could have won.

Greatscott94 - "Street Sleeper"
Wouldn't have worked as well without the story - which I think many of us can identify with.  I would have liked to see a slightly less cluttered composition, if that were possible.  Despair often drives people to addiction, and death is what awaits them.

​thatphotoguy71 - ​"Stayed too long"
Well composed, solid B&W treatment.  A bit too on-the-nose (i.e. literal) though. 

blues4you - untitled
A creepy image with a creepier story - what more can you ask for.  Although I think it is a bit towards the border of the category of "Death and Despair" and closer to a category of "Creepy Things".

RimeshP - "Veneration"
Also a nice use of square framing, a well done composition​, and thought provoking content.  I would have liked to see more depth of field than f/3.5 could provide, however.

​JPMontez - "Hopeless"

Great image - is this a composite or a single frame?  Overall, I think this is a very powerful image - my only gripe would be that I would like to see more texture on those rocks - less contrast.  It seems like they unbalance the image a bit and weight it too heavily on the left side.  Less contrast in the rocks would also bring more focus on the person sitting upon them.

​Third place:

Steven65 - untitled
Although the theme in here could easily be read as hope (e.g. for the resurrection after death), this is a strong image shot that certainly fits the theme.  It was nice to see that you set the aperture small enough to get everything within a decent zone of sharpness.  I like the leading lines and framing of the composition too.  Well done.

Second place:

draacor - "too late"
A great still life, well executed and well composed, and a bit different from the rest.  Well done.

First place:

I Beam - "sad"
An thought-provoking image showing the gloom of poverty and the depression of living in a society with little social mobility.  A strong composition with a leading line (the curb) showing the lack of social mobility from childhood to adulthood - in the future, will that child be still living in the neighborhood, toting around a bag of junk?  And then what?  Not much to look forward to - a life that is 'nasty brutish and short' as the saying goes.  My only critique would be that I would like to see the image rotated a bit to get the verticals squared up and straightened, but in this case it doesn't detract too much from the effect.  Well done.

If anyone wants more thoughts on why or why not I chose a particular image, I'd be happy to provide my thoughts via private message or in the thread.  The main reasons images were left out were because of compositional and exposure issues (photo basics type stuff), overdone B&W processing, being a bit too literal, and being a bit too far off of the subject of the challenge.

Anyway, good luck in the next challenge!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow