Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D used vs. 16-35mm f/4G new

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
pixee
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: fast aperture = better low light focus too
In reply to Teila Day, Nov 3, 2012

Teila Day wrote:

The 17-35 can be used on Nikon, Canon (via adapter), and some other format bodies as well. It's an older lens but a good one. There's no replacement for it right now in the Nikon lineup. I love the colour/contrast (though I'd expect newer lenses to be strong in that regard as well), and the lack of flare that I get with the lens. It does much better controlling flare than my Canon 24-70 I, and pretty much all of my other Nikkor lenses as well. It takes filters, strong as a tank, and won't let you down...

As mentioned, Nikon did a lack-luster job on the focus motor on these lenses and they are prone to fail. Mine started squeaking and a long time after that loss autofocus completely. I haven't bothered to get it fixed as I've been using it as a MF lens with success especially on the Nikon pro bodies with a decent focus assist light and arrow system (hint to Canon?)

You can't go wrong with either, but if you want the ultimate options when shooting, the faster glass in a wide angle lens, will give it to you in all but the rarest of instances.

17-35 f2.8 is an easy winner between the two lenses for what I shoot.

Best in photography to everyone!

-- hide signature --

I agree!

I swiched to Nikon system from Canon a year ago and bought 16-35 vr first but after trying 17-35 2.8 in mint condition ended with it. In my opinion It is better than Nikkor 16-35vr and clearly better than Canon 16-35 f2.8L. Color rendition is beautiful, not prone to flare, Af is accurate also in low light indeed. I own also 24mm f1.4, but 17-35mm is still very good compared even with it.

Here is one low light landscape picture in moonlight:

Nikon d800, 17-35 f2.8 lens, f11

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow