A lens question:the X 14-42 with an electronic shutter.

Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,355Gear list
Like?
A lens question:the X 14-42 with an electronic shutter.
Nov 3, 2012

Panasonic, de facto, makes two different M4/3rds "systems," the compact pocketable GF/GX based system, and the smaller DSLR type system. Both of these systems have their more appropriate lenses, useable on each system of course. The 14mm 2.5 seems a good lens for the more portable system. There has been a recent thread discussion about the usefulness of the 14mm where the consensus seemed to be that the 14m 2.5 is better used as an outdoor lens.

But there is another "pancake" sized outdoor 14mm lens for Panasonic's more portable GF and GX cameras, the X 14-42 collapsible zoom.

SLRGear wrote "We noted that there is some strange blurring that occurred at the 1/160s and 1/200s shutter speed settings, regardless of whether image stabilization was or was not employed. We did not see this blurriness when the camera was locked down on a stable tripod, it's only when the camera body can vibrate in response to the shutter motion that the lens picks it up and makes the blur worse."

There have been a number of threads on this subject in the forum. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I do not recall a thread that deals with whether this blur occurs with the electronic shutter on the G5.

I hope to upgrade to the GX2, and think it likely that it will also have the electronic shutter. That would make the X14-42 a more logical choice to purchase if the blur is eliminated or reduced. Does anyone have experience with using the X14-42 with an electronic shutter?

Thanks

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Leica X1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow