Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ben soo
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
G1X jpeg vs RAW
Nov 3, 2012

Last week i scored a used G1X and have been testing it. Loaded up CHDK and output some DNG files to run thru my GIMP workflow. Came across this bit the other day which i found interesting.

Here're 2 100% crops of some pebble texture stone facade on an overcast day. Top is from RAW and bottom is a straight from camera superfine jpeg, sharpness at the lowest setting. The RAW file has been sharpened just enough to match the jpeg. Also i've changed the RAW image colour balance and have darkened it overall.

i haven't posted images to the new DPR forum so dunno how they'll turn out. On my computer at 100% you can see that in the RAW crop the pebble texture is still pebbly, whereas with the straight-from-cam jpeg it's gone ropey, and is beginning to look like particle board.

Edit:  they're both from the same capture, not separate shots.  One can see some of the rez differences in textures that separates RAW processing from the in-cam processing.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow