Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aardvark7
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,110
Like?
My worst nightmare with the A99...
Nov 3, 2012

My A900s have served me well, but with intermittent flash issues now occurring and all the good things available on the A99 I decided it was time to upgrade. Of course, with it only just being available you look around for the best deal and quickest delivery and that's when it all started going pear-shaped...

Foolishly, although they have a reasonable reputaion, I fell for DigitalRev's excellent prices. They didn't ship when they said they would, told me they had shipped when they hadn't, split the consignment and lied on the documentation to avoid duty, then Fedex left one of the parcels in Stansted for almost two days (the other went via DHL and had no issues) before it all finally came together and arrived yesterday.

Thank heavens, thought I, I can finally relax and learn all the new tricks.

WRONG!!!!

One of the bodies has the most ridiculous amount of back-focussing that even -20 microadjust goes nowhere near. With that maximum setting and from a distance of about 3 metres/10 feet, we are talking about 20cm/8 inches behind the focal plane.

How the hell, in all that is sensible, did this ever get out of the factory????

So now I have to go through the tedious RMA procedure with DigitalRev, send the parcel all the way to HK and hope that I get my money, plus posting, back in reasonable time. Given their previous record with me I think that is highly doubtful.

This is the first time I've ever had a major issue with a Sony camera and the first time I have knowingly ordered from HK. I'll certainly avoid any supplier outside of the UK now, although I sincerely hope it is a one-off with Sony.

I'm now feeling decidedly depressed about the whole thing and it has taken all the shine of the new kit. I am going to have to force myself to get out and get a good feel for it, though, as it won't be long before I need to use it in anger, so to speak. It's the wrong kind of anger at the moment

-- hide signature --

2012 : My new year's resolution -
To be decided...

Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow