ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
remylebeau
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
A99 low light improvement translates to better EVF performance compared to A77
Nov 3, 2012

Hey All,

So I just checked out SAR and they posted a link regarding a guy on another board, that tested and claimed the EVF in the a99 is better than the a77 in low light/noise performance.

First, I think that's slightly misinterpreting the case since the resolution of a display, shouldn't have that kind of impact on the image that's being displayed in terms of noise reduction.

I think it has to do with the a99 simply having a larger sensor and overall performs much better in low light, thus, the image shown on the a99's EVF looks better in dark situations when compared with a77 in same situations.

To prove the point though crudely, I set a tripod and mounted the a77 and a99 as close to the same position as possible. Same settings that I chose to try and exaggerate the noise level being viewed. I apologize at the quality of the images I took the noise difference really is quite significant when viewed by the eye, however trying to get a decent image of the EVF screen was challenging.

I had to use the camera on my Galaxy S3 to take the photos, mainly because it could focus at such close distances. However we're left with an image though shot with 8mp camera, the ISO and other settings are anyone's guess.

Anyway, I think you can still see that there is a nice difference. I got used to the noise on my a77 a while ago, but it's become apparently and slightly distracting again now that I have the a99. The improvement is very very welcome.

remylebeau's gear list:remylebeau's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX +9 more
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow